(keitai-l) Re: D505i

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 05/26/03
Rainy Season isn't here yet praise the weather gods...

>> They are too stonking heavy.
>
>Yups - it is getting heavier because more and more is put into it.
>I just think it is a cylce.

I think it is more than that - new features mean new applications means
more usage, business opportunities and thus profit. Phones will slim down
a little as the  hardware becomes commodotized - but unless there is a
really incentive to get them REALLY slim, it won't happen. The whole
business model of subsidized handsets means that the phone HAS to have
enough additional services to make it viable in the long run, despite the
initial subsidy. And to make it as slim as I want it, a lot of the
extraneous junk would have to be chucked out.

As for docking - well - the little phs pcmia (pmcia? - I forget) half
length cards "dock" in a sense - something double that size that fitted
into my shirt pocket but had a tiny mono screen and voice nav keyboard
would be ideal

Innovation is not currently going into exciting places is my point - it
is all about trying to turn a phone into a games machine with colour
screens, 3D etc.

BOOOORING! Phones for kiddies.

We keep hearing about the collision of the PDA and the phone and the
games machine as though it were somehow desirable. I don't think it is if
we end up with something that performs none of these functions as well as
separate units would.

REAL Geeks like elegant design, things that are good at the jobs they do
- not - well - the latest crop have all the elegance of EMACS!

Nick

Nick