(keitai-l) Re: D505i

From: Reto Grob <rgrob_at_klab.org>
Date: 05/26/03
Hi Nick,

> >> They are too stonking heavy.
> >
> >Yups - it is getting heavier because more and more is put into it.
> >I just think it is a cylce.
>

> I think it is more than that - new features mean new applications means
> more usage, business opportunities and thus profit.

Yes. I think so too. And not many people can foresee correctly which
feature actually is going to open a new interesting market. That is why
many makers are trying out new stuff - and the mobile phone they think
is a great toy to test.

In 505 we already have tests for
- OLE technology
- fingerprint technology
- barcode reader technology
- 3d screen technology
- high-res digital camera

Are some of those needed/successful or not?  Maybe not. And I doubt
about some of them too. The market will decide.

> Phones will slim down a little as the  hardware becomes commodotized -
> but unless there is a really incentive to get them REALLY slim, it won't happen.

Yups. I agree.

Let's say Sony tries the SUICA in their phones. This may make the phone
bigger at first. But they do not yet know if this would be a success or
not.  So, at first the phone may be big. But in case everybody likes it,
they would spend the effort to make it smaller.

> REAL Geeks like elegant design, things that are good at the jobs they do
> - not - well - the latest crop have all the elegance of EMACS!

Yeah. Maybe some geeks on this world will at one time work together with
a manufacturer to make a really stylish useful fun phone. It is a far
way but it will come, I am confident.