(keitai-l) approved - and not - applis for J-phone (new vodaphone J-SH53, 256 MB SD card, secured music is silence)

From: Greg Conquest <conquest_at_spamcop.net>
Date: 06/07/03
Hello all,

I just bought the new vodafone J-SH53 this week. It is bilingual,  has a
1-megapixel CCD, SD memory card slot, a 240x320 color screen, and runs Java
applets. I can download the Java apps through J-Sky via the phone, I know,
but I'd like to know what other choices I have. Are there other choices for
Java applets that will work on the Java-capable phones? I do use .ipk files
on my Sharp Zaurus (download to PC, transfer to memory card, insert memory
card in Zaurus, install), but I can't find anything about installing Java
applets from the SD memory card on a mobile phone, and vodaphone seems to
think only approved apps downloaded via the phone directly will run.

                  ----- Greg Conquest -----
                   http://gregconquest.com

PS I am using a 256 MB Panasonic card, and it seems to work fine. The
Owner's Guide says cards up to only 128MB will work.
PPS The phone dos also have a music player, but it doesn't play mp3's, just
secured music -- pretty much useless as a music player for me with all the
file transfer inhibiting protections, etc. A Java mp3 player would be nice
to add ;-)