(keitai-l) Re: Usability on Japanese phones

From: Jonas Petersson <zap_at_xms.se>
Date: 06/15/03
Jofre Palau wrote:
> The Nokia with Symbian might be difficult to understand,

Altough I have som strong feelings about Symbian, I don't really think
it in itself makes things hard to understand - that is up to the
application developers.

> but the same with rounded keyboard (Nokia 3650) it's a nonsense.

The 3650 is certainly a mixed bag: It is quite cheap (good), it has more
memory and preloaded apps than the 7650 (good) and my gut feeling is
that the camera is better (perhaps a software issue), but the shell
feels very flimsy, the joystick is close to useless (at least compared
to the 7650) and I agree that the rounded keyboard is VERY awkward to
use for the first couple of days - in fact I gave up before I got used
to it.

My feeling is that it is a bit like Palm's Graffiti and the stenography
predecessor: you can learn it to be able to do a specific thing faster,
but there is no other use for that knowledge - in fact it may be a
drawback if you ever need a similar device that doesn't have it (say if
you borrow a "normal" phone or in the case of the Palm you borrow an
iPaq).

However, it is quite obviously a teen phone and these kids tend to learn
quickly and in many cases like to be different (certainly different from
parents and their opinions!) so...

				/ Jonas
-- =

Jonas Petersson |  XMS Penvision  | mailto:Jonas.Petersson@xms.se
Box 3294, Holmbrogr=E4nd 1, S-600 03 Norrk=F6ping | http://www.xms.se/
Tel: +46 (0)11 244805 | Fax: +46 (0)11 244809