(keitai-l) Re: predictive text input

From: Greg Conquest <conquest_at_spamcop.net>
Date: 06/20/03
> > And are any of the phone friendly for English input?
>
> Not very. For instance, it is a little impractical to insert whitespace
> between two words, and there is no such thing as the predictive input.
> Also you have to switch back and forth between letters and numbers,
> cycling through kanji and half-width katakana, not to mention mixing
> upper and lower case letters.
>
> Julien

I hadn't connected the inserting white-space problem with Kanji-Kana entry,
but of course, that makes sense. Written Japanese normally doesn't include
spaces. On my old au phone, I never did figure out how to do it. With my new
vodafone J-SH53, I can press the # key and then back one entry (left-mouse)
and hit the Function/enter button.

Replying to a message with the original text included, top-posting is
troublesome. If you simply move the cursor forward after finishing a word,
you will advance right over the carriage return and into the quoted text;
there is no insert mode, it's all overwrite. I have taken to
#,back,enter,#,back,enter,#,back,enter,#,back,enter,#,back,enter,#,back,ente
r a dozen times or so when replying to a message just to have a bank of
white spaces to type into.

That said, the Japanese predictive text is nice, but there is no English
equivalent on my keitai.

Greg Conquest