(keitai-l) Re: predictive text input

From: Julien Quint <quint_at_nii.ac.jp>
Date: 06/20/03
On Friday, Jun 20, 2003, at 12:48 Asia/Tokyo, Greg Conquest wrote:
> I hadn't connected the inserting white-space problem with Kanji-Kana
> entry,
> but of course, that makes sense. Written Japanese normally doesn't
> include
> spaces. On my old au phone, I never did figure out how to do it. With
> my new
> vodafone J-SH53, I can press the # key and then back one entry
> (left-mouse)
> and hit the Function/enter button.

It's a little easier on mine, though not really intuitive: press "menu"
(which allows to insert symbols, emoji, etc.) and choose option number
6. This can be done with two keystrokes, which is not too bad, but
sorts of break the flow of the input.

> Replying to a message with the original text included, top-posting is
> troublesome. If you simply move the cursor forward after finishing a
> word,
> you will advance right over the carriage return and into the quoted
> text;
> there is no insert mode, it's all overwrite. I have taken to
> #,back,enter,#,back,enter,#,back,enter,#,back,enter,#,back,enter,#,back
> ,ente
> r a dozen times or so when replying to a message just to have a bank of
> white spaces to type into.

Same problem, also if you have a signature automatically appended to
your messages.

Julien

--
Julien Quint, Visiting Researcher, National Institute of Informatics
Hitotsubashi   2-1-2-1312,   Chiyoda-ku,   Tokyo   101-8430,   Japan