(keitai-l) Re: predictive text input

From: k j <jubandhu_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 06/20/03
I'm trying to get an understanding of the differences are between the
makers.

For example on my So503i, to type in Japanese with kanji "ima tabe ni iku."
(now I will go to eat)

1)  press "a" x 2  ->  i
2)  jog dial and select "ima"
3)  press "ta" -> ta
4)  jog dial and select "tabe"
5)  jog dial and select "ni" (available based on grammar)
6)  press "a" x 2 -> i
7)  jog dial and select "iku"

The things I like about this are
1) the jog dial is always available without having to press an extra key to
open up a list,
2) the predictive word list is based both on grammar rules and usage
history.

Things I don't like are
1) I often miss pressing the jog dial, select the wrong word and have to
start over.  (this is VERY annoying)
2) It's takes lots of pushes to get to the small "tsu" or kana characters
that ends with "o".

Can you please briefly describe how some of the other phones work?  (the NEC
series, the J-SH53, etc)

I want to know why the magazine gave the Sharp phones such a high score?

kris