(keitai-l) Re: keitai culture in japan

From: Philip Sidel <psidel_at_iuj.ac.jp>
Date: 06/20/03
Hello,

In addition to all the great information that's been added below,
specifically regarding fieldwork, it depends on your personal resources and
your objectives.  There are companies who would help you with this, but
there will most likely be a large fee.

If the suggestion for using Metropolis works in getting you respondents,
you can always do some fairly good free survey work using surveypro
(www.surveypro.com), which accepts Japanese text as well.  Personally, I'd
also recommend finding a resource at your university to help you translate,
and then try to get some responses/insights from some people who aren't
bilingual (this will make your results a little more representative).  Ads
can also be placed in Japanese language magazines/newspapers for a moderate
fee.

Feel free to contact me offline if you'd like to discuss this further.  We
have a few field studies going on right now that I'd be happy to share the
methodological details with you if you're interested.

Also, as already suggested, Mimi Ito and Howard Rheingold are two people
whose work you should definitely follow closely.  Jeff Funk is no slouch
either.  He's been effectively studying and writing about Japan's mobile
platform for a while.  And although not specifically studying Japan, Per
Pedersen in Norway are also doing excellent work in this general area.

Good Luck

-Philip