(keitai-l) Re: Forrester: WI-FI is going to crash

From: Gustaf Alströmer <gustaf.alstromer_at_hyperisland.se>
Date: 06/20/03
I can't see how Bluetooth would be a competitor to Wi-fi?

As far as I know bluetooth is all about removing cables between computers,
printers and phones while Wi-fi is a technology/service which is mainly
used to hook up laptops and  PDAs to the Internet. At this point I would
say a Wi-fi's main competitor is the Internet-cafes. If you can connect
your own computer to internet you would probably do that instead of using a
computer at an Internet-cafe.

About one and a half year ago I was looking into the Wi-fi area for an
investment company and as you say the main expense is the Internet backhaul
but as long as that is already arranged, setting up a Wi-fi accesspoint is
neither rocket-science nor expensive.

And yes, people will be paying the possibility to connect their own
computer to the Internet. But they will probably only pay a lot for it as
long as no other much cheaper option is available. If you can sign an
exclusive deal with an airport, then you might have a good business.
Compared to mobile operators I think companies that provides Wi-fi services
will remain very small.

Also, a problem for companies providing Wi-fi access would probably be the
number of free networks that is available at least here in London. As we
know from internet-content-providers, people won't pay if there is a free
option...

Then of course, there is a huge differens in charging for technology and
charging for services, perhaps Forrester were more looking into the
technology area.

Gustaf