(keitai-l) Re: Ntt DoCoMo i-mode enters the italian market with Wind

From: Giovanni Bertani <giovanni.bertani_at_exsense.com>
Date: 06/21/03
Sabato, 21 giu 2003, alle 15:15 Europe/Rome, webmaster@mon-imode.net ha
scritto:

> What's very strange is that on the last 18 january, DoCoMo sign a
> contract
> with TIM in order to develop new wireless technology in Italy.

Sorry I do not understand well. Are you talking about introducing
i-mode in Italy or developing new technology for the european i-mode?

> I don't understant why now it's Wind who's get the contract to develop
> imode.
> And as in France with Bouygues Telecom, Wind is the third national
> operator.
> Why ? It is a strategy ?

Probably you have to find somebody that is interested to set up a
partnership
with you.

I think that Ntt DoCoMo is having good success with smaller telco
operators
that have not enough resources to be competitive in the new content
services.

To be competitive you will need quiet a big critical mass to pay R&D and
develop a proper service and brand strategy (Vodafone Live!) that
smaller
operators do not have.

By joining the i-mode Europe bandwagon in theory you are part of a
Europe-wide
partnership with a lot of know-how. Is a join or dye (Be bought be
somebody
bigger like it is for Wind) ...

On the other side I do not believe that focusing on a proprietary
standard is smart.
The logic behind this is replicating the same user experience control
they have
got in japan.

But Japanese market is very different...

The reality is that there are just few i-mode compatible phones that is
a bad
thing for the customers. And also this makes costly for small national
content
providers developing to support the smaller operator with a completely
different
tech.

I think it could have been smarter to use all the know-how and i-mode
platform
but in the same way maintaining WAP2 compatibility.

But this is just a personal opinion, we will see...

> However KPN is a very big operator, no ?

In Holland yes but in Germany is also the third i think.

> I also read that 2 developpement centers will be built in Holland and
> Italy
> in order two develop the future i-mode application/software...

I can understand Holland, maybe Italy because is a quiet dynamic market.
In this case looks like they have good product and service development
more
than advanced tech R&D like in Germany:

http://www.docomoeurolabs.de/

Do you have any more info about this?

> Excuse my english

Much much better than my French. :-)

Regards

Giovanni

giovanni bertani   mobile vas consultant and analyst
exsense verona italy