(keitai-l) Re: Forrester: WI-FI is going to crash

From: Debi Jones <djones_at_wireless-one.org>
Date: 06/24/03
It seems to me that to speak of Wi-Fi in terms of hotspots and WLAN alone is
fairly simplistic.  Yes, roaming is important and my belief is that roaming
for Wi-Fi will become a realty long before I can travel to all locations in
the US and have my cell phone work regardless of what carrier owns the
closest tower.

The initiatives in the US of companies like Vivato (expands Wi-Fi coverage
to a cellular footprint) and Cometa (ATT, IBM, Intel) means that coverage
issues in population centers will be much cheaper to deliver than leasing
real estate and constructing huge towers as is required to deploy cellular
networks.  Further, as Wi-Fi is analogous to ethernet specialized switching
and data centers aren't required.

Further, many individuals around the world are deploying Wi-Fi on their own
which is huge potential for the network.  In my home I have DSL service.  I
don't need a network technician to deploy and operate my ethernet network to
connect devices.  I buy a cable, a hub or router and viola!  I have a
network.  If I chose to share the costs and capability with a neighbor, we
could drag a cable between us without any technical assistance and extend my
network to my neighbor.  Wi-Fi as wireless ethernet is being shared this way
today.  As additional standards are released for roaming, security, AAA, and
etc., those issues will be resolved.

About a year ago, I did some research into the cost of covering the UK with
3G including cost of licenses, tower construction and infrastructure.  I did
not include the direct costs to users such as devices and applications.  To
deploy 3G in the UK it would cost $687 per population head.  Of course many
of the population wouldn't be consumers of the technology for some time as
they are still in diapers.  :-)  While I haven't yet completed the same
analysis for Wi-Fi, my instincts tell me there is a huge difference.  No
licenses, real estate leases, or tower construction would be required for
covering the country with Wi-Fi.

...Debi