(keitai-l) Re: Forrester: WI-FI is going to crash

From: Debi Jones <djones_at_wireless-one.org>
Date: 06/25/03

----- Original Message -----
From: "Giovanni Bertani" <giovanni.bertani@exsense.com>
To: <keitai-l@appelsiini.net>
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 3:24 AM
Subject: (keitai-l) Re: Forrester: WI-FI is going to crash

> Debi
>
> Just some questions:
>
> Is this technology requiring something different on the client
> side than WLAN?
No special client side software needed.

> How you can pass from 50  meters of WLAN to 9 km?

There are different technologies being used.  The Vivato solution
essentially adds power to the signal.  While that's a simplistic
explanation, but it is accurate.  The Tropos solution uses a peered mesh
network architecture versus a star.  This is the same network design that
enabled the popular US network deployed on the west coast called Ricochet.
While the company failed by overreaching in deployments, the network and
technology was widely popular in the marketplace for data among mobile
professionals.

> Is the power needed for this technology compatible with
> existing batteries technology?

Yes.  Nothing special is required.

> Is this WI-FI using hi-power microwaves?

Wi-Fi is the certification label for 802.11 standards compliant equipment,
so of course it uses radio and not microwave.

> Has this been tested for interference and health related issues?

Yes, these products must be approved by the FCC prior to being sold in the
US.  The UWL (underwriters laboratory) must approve the compliance of
products for health and safety in the US.

> I know about long-range versions of WI-FI for fixed use but still
> I haven't seen any mature technology for long range cellular
> coverage. Maybe this is one...

There are projects going on all over to bring Wi-Fi and it's increased
bandwidth to market.  I'd look for some interesting developments coming out
of Europe as well.

...Debi