(keitai-l) Re: iAppli IMAP proxying service?

From: J. David Beutel <jdb_at_getsu.com>
Date: 07/08/03
On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Jon Ellis wrote:

> > P.S.  If I were making it myself, I might skip the appli part and do it
> > all in the proxy, with just a web interface to the keitai.
>
> One advantage to building an application client to the proxy
> is that you only need to ship the date (the mail) and not
> the presentation (markup).

On the other hand, the appli's presentation and custom (or IMAP) protocol
may be cramped by the current appli size limits.

> The application approach also has the potential to be better
> integrated with the device, address book and local storage
> being the only examples that i can think of...

Good point.  That would be best if you're targeting a single, late model
(e.g., 505i), since an appli could make the most of its features.  But if
you have a broader target, then the common denominators in the browsers
and the lack of size limits on the server code make the server side less
daunting.

(But I'm just idly speculating.)

11011011