(keitai-l) Re: Proxying E-mail (was: iAppli IMAP proxying service?)

From: Mathieu Castelli <mathieu_at_newtgames.com>
Date: 07/08/03
> The other problem is that, at least on my mail server, emoji gets
> munged into a garbage character.  I tried asking this list about it,
> but was told "Enfour knows, but they're not going to tell you unless
> you pay up.  People have to eat too."  Yeah, but I'm just an individual
> and I'm not looking to profit from this...

All what I will say here is only valid for AU. Don't know the first think
about other networks:

emojis are encoded as S-JIS chars (there's a match in UNICODE) but are "off
the bound" of the japanese chars range.
In our Java app, players send messages to our serveur that can then forward
them to mails adress. We were very happy to see that on AU adresses the
emojis were preserved.

The java app sends the message as S-JIS  (W3C specs for international HTML
code).
And then we actually forward to mail using the recode GNU library (note sure
if there's a perl port)...
And that's all.

Maybe it's not really what you were looking for tho...

mathieu