(keitai-l) Re: F505i

From: dc <dc_at_gamelet.com>
Date: 07/13/03
//  	Thank you for this explanation.  We have a similar situation in
//  the USA.  For example the Nokia 3650 has a JAR limit of 100kb, while the
//  Nokia 3300 has a limit of 64kb.  The J2ME MIDP 1.0 spec. says that a
//  Midlet can't call an external program ... but I'm guessing that there's
//  some trick that involves Object Serialization that they are using.

My understanding is all the apps are just downloading data - graphics, maybe
level maps, but certainly not class files. There is no classloader in
doja/midp so...

//  	I recall reading that Samauri Romenesque used a similar
//  technique.

SR used three different appli, and came out in 503 days, when there was no
communication between appli. So you would use the trainer games for a while
to build your character and then go off exploring in a different. Of course,
the server communication was there but it was up to the user to quit, reboot
the other appli and continue.

//
//  	By the way, I am looking for a developer to localize our screen
//  saver/virtual pet product for Japan.  We won't release this for the US
//  Phones until we see the sort of resolutions we see with the F505i.

the sharp GX-20 from vodafone first is Q-VGA. And it rocks.
vrzn should have some qvga brew phones soon.
but you can do plenty with a (176x204?) series60.
the original tamagotchi was like 32x96 pixels, black and white - it's all
about gameplay...

//  P.S. I am reminded of the early days of CD-ROM, when (while I was at
//  Activision) I did some of our first CD-ROM work (1989) on the FM Towns
//  .. for similar reasons.

ah - that Bill Volk. I think i remember your name from a supercard forum,
back in the day...??

//  J2ME-MIDP implemented in GSM don't have a "standardized" limitation but
//  a
//  handset hardware limitation that ranges from 30Kb (ie:Nokia 6310i) to
//  300Kb
//  (i.e Nokia 7650). J2ME-DoJa 1.5/2.0 profile sets a fixed limitation of
//  30Kb

often there is a limitation also imposed by the carrier based on using wap
gateway to provision the content... (eg t-mobile). so the handset isn't the
only constraining factor.

//  A "jar" file in fact is a MIDlet Suite with different midlets within.
//  For

A jar file can contain resources - sound, graphics, txt - too...

/dc