(keitai-l) Re: iAppli Piracy

From: dc <dc_at_gamelet.com>
Date: 07/17/03
//  A very simple DRM solution has been a key component of i-mode since =
//  launch, and it is
//  controlled by the content provider.  If the content provider
//  chooses to =
//  protect=20
//  a file (eg. GIF, JPEG, MIDI, JAVA) that a user downloads,
//  forwarding out of the receiving device--by any means
//  (eg infrared, messaging, etc)-- is not possible. =20
//
//  My understanding is that the method used is simpler
//  than that defined by OMA (though I would be interested in hearing =
//  comments from CPs
//  who have experience both.)

The first phase of OMA DRM implements forward lock. The spec is rather more
sophisticated than the docomo case though, as the content itself is
scrambled.

With docomo phones, there really isn't a way to get content out of the phone
unless the phones built in apps provide a way to do it. eg you can attach a
melody to an email. So a simple bitflag ("can't forward/attach") is enough.
However, series60 and all those fancy euro devices have a full real OS, so
3rd parties can create ripper apps to get at any unscrambled content/data,
ignoring any flags.

However, I believe that JPhone also implemented a system for locking content
to a device at point of download (oe maybe point of transfer). I have to
check again, but I think the SH-(the one before the 53) allowed you to
"backup" your java apps on SD, but only the same handset can play those
backed up games. So while the europeans were messing about in standards
bodies the japanese just went ahead and made something that works... albeit
on one phone only!

/dc

//
//