(keitai-l) Re: Moblog Appli

From: Sam Joseph <gaijin_at_yha.att.ne.jp>
Date: 07/22/03
Hi David,

J. David Beutel wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Sam Joseph wrote:
>
>>Right so I finally got my moblog appli to work - I can now post blog
>>articles including photos from my Sharp 505.  There is one setback at
>>the moment, which is that the 505 is limited to 10240bytes in its POSTs,
>>and the resolution on the phone camera is so high, that the base64
>>encoding of the photo can't fit in the POST.
>>

>Congratulations!  So after all, DoJa 3 has access to the high-resolution
>photos.  I might come to regret my hasty AU purchase.  Do you have to take
>the picture from within the appli, or can the appli access old photo
>files?

At the moment you access the camera functionality through the appli - I
haven't yet seen a way to access the old photo files, but I'm not ruling
it out.  Actually with the scratchpad at 200k, you can store quite a lot
of pictures completely within your appli.

I know doja can accesss files that come in as part of the appli resource
package, so there may be some special way to access the data files on
the phone - you can set the appli so it can access phonebook, email
addresses, etc. if the user approves ...

>>I can't see any easy way to compress the photo or spread it over two
>>posts .... hmm that makes me think I could send the image in parts and
>>then reassemble using cunning html hmm ....
>>

>I don't know anything about DoJa, but I'd try to send the photo file in
>parts over separate, well-formed HTTP posts, and then reassemble it on the
>server.  I wouldn't try to compress the photo file any further, altho I'd
>make sure not to send the uncompressed image.  Hacking the transfer
>encoding sounds maintenance-prone.

Yeah - I was thinking that several html img src tags could re-assemble
the image - but it would certainly be neater if the separate bits of
base 64 could be put back together into one image ...., I wonder if the
blog API might be adjusted to handle that.

See the thing is I would like the appli to only be relying on the
presence of standard blog API functionality on the server so the
potential user doesn't have to install extra scripts and so forth ....

CHEERS> SAM