(keitai-l) i-area , EZ navi, LBS popularity/usage

From: Philip Sidel <psidel_at_iuj.ac.jp>
Date: 08/08/03
Hello,

Does anyone have any reputable information or links to information on how
popular these location-based services are here in Japan?  Or how about
similar services offered by other providers around the world?

Are they offering any measurable benefits to local merchants?  Are these
services profitable for the content provider?

In a recent conversation with a European operator, they mentioned that
these types of services were a "must-have".  Aside from consumer
perceptions, are there any profitability/usage factors that support this
position?

I appreciate any help you could give me on this.  All the information that
I am finding is just industry hype.... your help in busting through the
hype to find the trail of money would be extremely appreciated.

Best,
   Philip