(keitai-l) Re: keitai-l Digest V3 #160

From: Oliver Wittchow <ow_at_nanoloop.com>
Date: 08/08/03
Paul Lester wrote:

>     Sorry I can't help on this one.  Just two weeks ago I reread through that
> part of the specs also while working on stuff related to the
> "seek and phrase info chunk".  And at the time I did a search
> for sample files of the type you describe and came up empty.

thanks for the response anyway.
i wonder if the SL is implemented at all, but the detailed specs make me
hope so.

>     If the ringtone sources were in a format other than midi that had
> lots of relooped stuff, it would be great to try out this more compact form.
> The reason I haven't is that midi is nothing like this format and most of
> the ringtone sources are made in midi.

almost all music has repeating parts, one could for example write a tool
that detects these parts in a MIDI-file and produces a compressed SMAF file.

however, in my case music is produced from scratch (on server) without
MIDI-source. it is synthetic music that uses the specific features of
MA-3 and is meant to be enjoyed via headphone.
FM-synthesis and SMAF-format seem just right for such "chiptunes", the
only problem is filesize, for a 5 minute track you'll need 100 kb or so
- with very minimalistic music. but subsequence lists would be a perfect
solution to fit even longer songs into the usual 10 kb limit.

oliver