(keitai-l) Re: How do folks enter Kanji on Phones?

From: Paul Bryan Lester <pbl1_at_cornell.edu>
Date: 08/13/03
    Its actually just like you do on a regular keyboard under windows
(or mac for that matter).

1.  Put in the Kana... and when you do a variable underline appears.
2.  When done go up and down to select different kanji and left and right
to change the number of selected characters.
3.  When the right Kanji appears press select and if not all the Kana are
selected,
the next group is selected.  and it continues until you finish the kana
selection

(Its just like my PC only sometimes a little bit faster and more
efficient),
but it seems to not have as many readings registered which is not good
when
I'm writing an uncommon character... of course my PC is sometimes missing
some of the really old Kanji as well (I came across one last week where
one of the older Japanese characters (it was even in Nelson!) was left out
of SJIS!
 So I had to use the variant version of the character).

    It varies a drop from keitai to keitai... mine (TT21) automatically
has the kana selected.
On some you have to manually select the kana you wish to change..... in
that case you
can change kana long after typing them in which is advantageous as well
but slower.

    On some I have a very difficult time inputting Kanji.  You sometimes
need
to change the input method from Kana to Kanji.  Or Kana to Henkan.  Other
input methods are (Romaji, Katakana, Number, 2-byte romaji, Alpha-numeric,

Captial-2-byte Romaji, Lowercase-2byte-romaji, Captial-One byte romaji,
Lower-case
one byte romaji, symbol, and user defined).  The set of available input
methods varies
from keitai to keitai.