(keitai-l) Re: Content provider profits

From: Jeffrey L. Funk <funk_at_iir.hit-u.ac.jp>
Date: 08/13/03
Philip,

Here is one estimate of the size of the japanese mobile contents market in
billions of yen for 2002:
         Total   150
         Ringing tones    80
         Screen savers    25-30
         Games    15-20
         Other entertainment      5-10
         Other contents   10-15
         Shopping                30-40
   Cybird is not the largest content provider and certainly not the most
profitable (but it may be in the future). Xing and giga networks have more
than 5 million subscribers and bandai and disney and possibly index also
probably have more than cybird. the profits for individual firms can be
obtained from those publicly listed firms who only do mobile content
(cybird, index, faith and many more). Subscriber numbers are also not hard
to find for other firms as most firms will tell you. profits for non-listed
firms can be estimated by knowing the number of subscribers and
understanding the cost structure  of their services. The top ringing tone
providers have margins that are probably higher than 70%. leading providers
of screen savers and games are also very profitable. Most official shopping
sites are profitable. Outside of the entertainment and shopping contents
there are fewer success stories. but they include many retail outlets
sending coupons (tsutaya, jeansmate, first kitchen), toshiba, JR, Guru Navi
and several map providers in navigation services, and many, many
manufacturing firms who have realized cost savings and faster customer
response by having their employees access information on their mobile phones.

>So back to you all.  Any legitimate sources of information on either
>subscription levels across different sites or groups of sites,
>profitability measures for these, or even any sites tracking mobile content
>or service sites shutting down?  Any and all feedback would be
>appreciated...except more folks telling me my questions are meaningless....
>one a day is enough.

You are not going to find this information in a handy table. Andrea,
Gerhard, I, and others have spent the last three years gathering this
information. We are reacting the way we are because many people have used
the 20% figure to say the Japanese mobile Internet is unsuccessful. And
your question suggests that the profitability of the mobile Internet is
dubious (albeit I realize you don't think this). As Gerhard said, firms
offer these services because they are profitable. Just because Japanese
banks and some large electronic firms are stupid enough to continue
offering services in spite of no profitability does not mean that all
Japanese firms are stupid. Enron and a few other US firms also fooled
people. but in the end, you can't fool everyone and you have to provide
services that make money.
cheers,
jeff funk
P.S. I remember reading a reaction by Natsuno to the one hundred millionth
time he was asked about the applicability of the mobile Internet to the
West: "Japanese are not aliens." Many times I have also wanted to answer
that question in the same way.