(keitai-l) Location Based Services ?

From: Chas Sweeting <charlie_at_skinnyhippo.com>
Date: 08/27/03
Please excuse my ignorance but I'm currently residing
outside of Japan, and was wondering what's the state of
Location Based Services in Japan ?

I read in the past (can't remember where) that DoCoMo's
platform was going to use GPS.. is this using the
Qualcomm GPSOne chipset, or do they have their own ?

Has anything been rolled out yet, and are any applications
popular ? How accurate is it ? (eg. Cell-ID location-
-positioning is pretty crappy... anywhere from 50 to 500m
variation!)

Most importantly, are there any APIs for developing
applications and is anybody on this list taking advantage
of them ?

Sorry for so many questions,

cheers,

chas