(keitai-l) Re: Location Based Services ?

From: Mark Frieser <mark_at_consect.com>
Date: 08/27/03
Chas,

It seems to me that so many people are unaware of what anyone outside DoCoMo
has been up to - well, that is probably normal when one company controls 60%
of the market.

Anyway, KDDI has had a GPS service for about 1 1/3 years now on its au
service for 3G phones... And J-Phone has something too (though I think its
an LBS workaround)

Popular?  I think there are quite a few popular applications other than
mapping - games, shopping, things like that.

APIs?  I am sure that KDDI has something.

On 8/27/03 5:52, "Chas Sweeting" <charlie@skinnyhippo.com> wrote:

> Please excuse my ignorance but I'm currently residing
> outside of Japan, and was wondering what's the state of
> Location Based Services in Japan ?
>
> I read in the past (can't remember where) that DoCoMo's
> platform was going to use GPS.. is this using the
> Qualcomm GPSOne chipset, or do they have their own ?
>
> Has anything been rolled out yet, and are any applications
> popular ? How accurate is it ? (eg. Cell-ID location-
> -positioning is pretty crappy... anywhere from 50 to 500m
> variation!)
>
> Most importantly, are there any APIs for developing
> applications and is anybody on this list taking advantage
> of them ?
>
> Sorry for so many questions,
>
> cheers,
>
> chas
>

> This mail was sent to address mark@consect.com

Mark Frieser
Consect
+1 917 855 2669

Join 200 High Level Wireless and Music Executives for a day of networking,
case studies and technology solutions at the Mobile Music Conference,
November 14, 2003.

For more information on attending and sponsorship, visit our website at
http://www.mobilemusicon.com

--

Ventura Highway, in the sunshine.