(keitai-l) Re: Hacking Java sites

From: <steve_at_smoco.com>
Date: 09/03/03
On 2 Sep 2003 at 14:34, Thomas Eitzenberger wrote:

> Use advanced obfuscators that make it VERY HARD to decompile and add a
> secret key code that pops up a hidden dialog stating your'r the owner.
> That way you can proov ethat this is your code
>
> just my 2 euros
> ET

The problem with this approach is that there is only a very limited number of ways
that you can pop up that dialog and these method calls can not be removed by
obfuscation.  All a hacker needs to do is find instances of these method calls in the
decompiled code, modify:compile:test until they find the one that generates the
dialog in question and then simply add code to bypass your dialog - could be as
simple as commenting it out.

If you think obfuscation is going to protect your code I suggest you try reverse
engineering something - I would recommend JAD as a decompiler.  It is disturbingly
easy for J2ME stuff.

Steve Oldmeadow