(keitai-l) Re: Hacking Java sites

From: Boris Granveaud <boris_at_granveaud.com>
Date: 09/03/03
>The problem with this approach is that there is only a very limited
>number of ways
>that you can pop up that dialog and these method calls can not be
>removed by
>obfuscation.  All a hacker needs to do is find instances of these
>method calls in the
>decompiled code, modify:compile:test until they find the one that
>generates the
>dialog in question and then simply add code to bypass your dialog -
>could be as
>simple as commenting it out.
>
>If you think obfuscation is going to protect your code I suggest you
>try reverse
>engineering something - I would recommend JAD as a decompiler.  It is
>disturbingly
>easy for J2ME stuff.

a few "second generation" obfuscators do a pretty good job at reordering
byte code instructions so that it doesn't correspond to a real Java
source. For example, here is a code obfuscated with Zelix Klassmaster,
and decompiled by DJ Java Decompiler:

      k1 = d.c;
       ai = a[i1];
       j1 = 0;
       if(k1 == 0) goto _L2; else goto _L1
_L1:
       ai[j1];
_L9:
       if(k1 != 0) goto _L4; else goto _L3
_L3:
       JVM INSTR ifne 32;
          goto _L5 _L6
_L5:
       break MISSING_BLOCK_LABEL_30;
_L6:
       continue; /* Loop/switch isn't completed */
       false;
_L4:
       return;

Of course, this doesn't stop real hackers of modifying directly the
bytecode. But at least it stops the "rookies".

B.