(keitai-l) Re: docomo spam- finally found me

From: Thomas O'Dowd <tom_at_nooper.com>
Date: 09/08/03
On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 18:58, Gerhard Fasol wrote:
> Reto Grob wrote:
> > Hi David,
> >
> > A friend of mine had a 504 bought a new 505 phone at a small shop in
> > Akihabara. He used the same email address before and after.. after he
> > got lots of spams (30 times a day..) .. so it looks very likely that the
> > shop sold his address  :-0!
>
> Normally the shop has no access to his email address:
> there is an imode password, and this has nothing to do
> with the phone, and the shop does not need this password.
> I think your friend made a mistake in giving his email
> address to the shop: don't forget: you have the right to say
> no to unreasonable requests.

Sadly, I think Reto is right in this case. When you buy a new phone you
need to hand over your old phone so they can change the contract over,
copy phonebooks, etc to the new phone. Its not unusual to be asked to
come back in an hour or so to pick up your phone afterwards. Regarding
access to your email address, most people keep their profile (menu 0)
up-to-date with their current email address so that they can IR their
profile to others. Failing that, you can access the current email
address once you have the phone using the i-mode menu. You only need the
i-mode password to change it. They could also send a quick mail to their
email address from the phone and then just delete that message from the
sent folder. Its easy to get your email address once you have access to
the phone, password or no password.

You can restrict different parts of your handset access with a handset
password. This is pretty unusual though except for rental companies.

Tom.
--
Thomas O'Dowd  - Got a keitai? Get Nooped!
tom_at_nooper.com - http://nooper.com