(keitai-l) Re: can't send email to AU from YahooBB

From: Ben Hutchings <ben_at_decadentplace.org.uk>
Date: 09/12/03
On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 05:21:13PM +0900, J. David Beutel wrote:

> Since the beginning of August, I haven't been able to send email
> from my home machine (on YahooBB) to my keitai (on ezweb.ne.jp).  I
> can't even connect to AU's SMTP server; it just times out.  This
> problem has been constant for over a month now.
>
> Does anyone else have the same problem?  Is my IP on some kind of
> blacklist?

Yes, there are blacklists of dynamically-assigned IP addresses.  These
are intended to block spam from throw-away accounts and from hijacked
PCs.

> I have no problems sending anywhere else.  I have lots of relay
> rejects in my mail log, so I'm definitely not an open relay, and I'm
> not in the MAPS RBL.  Also, it worked fine until August.  And I can
> send via mail.yahoo.com, so AU is not backlisting all IPs.

Try aol.com - they block dynamic IP addresses now.

> Note that I'm not going through YahooBB's SMTP server, because it is
> limited to YahooBB email accounts.

Ach, that's really stupid.  You could include a Reply-To address,
although that often gets replaced by mailing list managers.
Your other option is to buy email service from another company.

<snip>

--
Ben Hutchings
The program is absolutely right; therefore, the computer must be wrong.