(keitai-l) Re: can't send email to AU from YahooBB

From: J. David Beutel <jdb_at_getsu.com>
Date: 09/16/03
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Ben Hutchings wrote:

> Yes, there are blacklists of dynamically-assigned IP addresses.  These
> are intended to block spam from throw-away accounts and from hijacked
> PCs.

With more persistence, I tried connecting 21 times and was finally able to
connect once.  So my IP address is not blacklisted.  But I still wonder
why most hosts can connect to AU with no problem.

> Try aol.com - they block dynamic IP addresses now.

Okay.  AOL has 4 mail server names, and 3 of those names have multiple IP
addresses, so it looks like round-robin.  I connected to one first try:

[jdb@tokimi jdb]$ telnet  64.12.136.57 25
Trying 64.12.136.57...
Connected to 64.12.136.57.
Escape character is '^]'.
220-rly-xa02.mx.aol.com ESMTP mail_relay_in-xa2.5; Tue, 16 Sep 2003
04:42:45 -0400
220-America Online (AOL) and its affiliated companies do not
220-     authorize the use of its proprietary computers and computer
220-     networks to accept, transmit, or distribute unsolicited bulk
220-     e-mail sent from the internet.  Effective immediately:  AOL
220-     may no longer accept connections from IP addresses which
220      have no reverse-DNS (PTR record) assigned.
quit
221 SERVICE CLOSING CHANNEL
Connection closed by foreign host.

So AOL doesn't block my IP address per se.  I do have a reverse-DNS
assigned, and it doesn't match my email domain, so I might have other
problems later on in SMTP.

> > Note that I'm not going through YahooBB's SMTP server, because it is
> > limited to YahooBB email accounts.
>
> Ach, that's really stupid.  You could include a Reply-To address,
> although that often gets replaced by mailing list managers.
> Your other option is to buy email service from another company.

I'd rather not rely on Reply-To, because it's sometimes ignored.  Maybe I
could figure out a way to use YahooBB's SMTP server and Reply-To only for
email to AU, but I don't know how ugly a hack it would be, and I'd rather
figure out the real problem.

Thanks,
11011011