(keitai-l) J2me interop event

From: Mathew Smith <Mathew.Smith_at_smart-fusion.com>
Date: 09/12/03
I know this is not i-Appli and I know it's in France but I just spoke to =
the organiser and I thought about the keitai list. The really =
interesting thing is that he's offering EUR800 to the first 15 =
developers who comit to turning up, surely someone's interested in a =
free trip to the south of France?

Mathew Smith

J2ME Developers, manufacturers, operators, ...=20
interested in checking the interoperability of J2ME applications?

Than come to the J2ME Interoperability Event, from 20 to 24 October 2003 =
at ETSI in Sophia Antipolis (France).
<http://www.etsi.org/plugtests/02UpcomingEvents/J2ME/J2ME_home.htm>

The goal of the event is to check and improve interoperability between =
J2ME applications (midlets) and J2ME platforms (handsets, PDAs, ..) =
leading to a global and large market of applications running =
independently in different platforms instead of having fragmented =
markets of various applications developed and adapted on a case-by-case =
basis to different platforms.
he event is being organized by ETSI's Plugtests Service and is an =
opportunity for engineers from competing organizations to meet together =
in a commercially secure environment, to share experiences and improve =
interoperability between their implementations.
Operators who :
- Can evaluate the interoperability concept with J2ME before launching =
their applications on their phones on the market.
- Can contact J2ME developers.=20

Manufacturers who :
- Can detect some problems with some phones due to differences in =
interpretation of the specifications.=20

J2ME developers who :
- Can verify their applications run correctly on all the =
phones/platforms; and if not the case identify the problems.
- Can establish rules for development in order to be interoperable.=20

The specification addressed at the event will be:=20
 JSR 30: CLDC (Connected Limited Device Configuration)
 JSR 37: MIDP (Mobile Information Device Profile)=20

To provide maximum value to the participants, the following services =
will be provided:=20
 Provisioning server allowing participant to upload or download midlets =
on the phones/PDA (by Web or Over the Air)
 Some midlets will be available to evaluate platforms interoperability
 Specific tests midlets will be available
 Experts will be available to discuss on potential problems on help to =
solve them
 Evaluation guideline will be available to check objectively the midlets =
running into the platform(s)=20

Participation Fees:=20
free of charge for J2ME midlet developers (Travel subsidies can be =
granted to small companies developing java applications).

To subscribe to the J2ME mailing list:=20
- Send the following command: subscribe PLUGTESTS-J2ME (First name + =
Surname)
- To the following address: listserv@list.etsi.org =
<<mailto:listserv@list.etsi.org>>=20
Please, register as soon as possible, and start to use the mailing list!
<http://www.etsi.org/plugtests/02UpcomingEvents/J2ME/J2ME_registration.ht=
m>

Deadline to register 6 October 2003

The event is held in parallel with the Smart Week which comprises three =
different events:
- The SIMalliance Conference : Working Together - JAVA CARD SIM
- The SIMalliance Workshop with Live Demos,
- The Smart Card Plugtests, including Javacard and SIM toolkit =
interoperability event.
<http://www.etsi.org/plugtests/02UpcomingEvents/SmartWeek/Smart_Week_home=
.htm>=20