(keitai-l) Re: SIM and J2ME

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 09/24/03
Chris,

this is all nice in theory, but I don't think this works in real
life -

and also it's based on yesterday's non-internet phone experience
as it is still widespread outside advanced mobile countries like
Japan or S-Korea:

(a) do you like to pay data charges to the carrier every time you update
your personal phone book?

(b) do you like to pay data charges everytime you show your
personal photo album to a friend

(c) in reality (in advanced mobile countries) people store a LOT
more than the phone book in their mobile phone: 100s of emails,
100s of photographs of kids, friends, holidays, parties, melodies, etc.
People don't want to pay data charges everytime they go through their
personal photo album, and they want to be able to show the personal
photoalbum even if they are not connected to the carrier network

(d) when you are in the subway, do you want to have to wait for the
next station, where your phone connects, to write an email on your
phone? No: you want to be able to type continuously whether you
are connected or not.

My response to this thin-phone-client-idea: forget it.

Gerhard