(keitai-l) Re: SIM and J2ME

From: Chris Wooldridge <Chris.Wooldridge_at_bullant.com.au>
Date: 09/24/03
An alternative route to achieve the same end goal is for the network to
become the phone interface.

The idea is that the handset is essentially a thin-client.  The actual
interface displayed on the handset by this thin client is under the control
of a server based application that is in turn controlled by the operator.
Thus, you get the concept of a thin phone.

From this concept, it is a small step to having a network managed phonebook,
a network managed bookmark list, and a network managed personalised list of
my applications.  The key to success from a technical point of view is the
generic nature of the thin client application and the ubiquity of network
connectivity and the balance between what is on the phone and in the
network.  I can't place a call unless I have a network, so it does not
really matter if my phone book is stored in the network itself.  However, I
will always want Ridge Racer to be stored and run locally on the handset.
Once you get the basic structure in place, networked applications can be
incrementally added to the handset menu.

Who owns the server applications including your address book: the operator.
It makes changing network just that little bit more of a pain in the butt.

Bullant http://www.bullant.com.au/ has been pushing this idea for a couple
of years now.  Other startups like Cognima http://www.cognima.com/ are
moving in the direction of network managed handset database replication.

I am sure there are plenty of others...

Chris