(keitai-l) Re: QP? mobile-camera-readable barcode-type thing

From: Michael Sydenham <michaelsydenham_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 09/28/03
Here is a direct link to a page with a picture of the QR barcode. It is
characterised by 3 registration squares in top & bottom left, top right
corners.

http://www.denso-wave.com/qrcode/qrfeature.html

I think only DoCoMo SH505 & F505 have the in-built reader. SH is native,
F505 is a Java appli. The F is better since it captures a mono image, unlike
the Sharp - sometimes colour surround confounds the reader. From Vodafone, I
think only SH-53 has the reader (might be others), but to me it is a bit
braindead since you cannot read & open URLs encoded in the barcode directly
in Vodafone unlike DoCoMo (I think Vodafone ought to correct this). I
believe all 505iS's will have the barcode reader as standard. In my mind,
avoiding typing URLs & mail addresses is probably the most useful mobile
applications of these barcodes. However I wonder how long barcodes will be
used for these purposes, since already the SH505 has shown excellent OCR of
typed web/mail addresses, so perhaps OCR will just be easier (no need to
create/print the barcode).

Michael.