(keitai-l) Re: N-Gage not selling well?

From: cfb <cfb_at_nirai.ne.jp>
Date: 10/25/03
Martyn_Williams@idg.com wrote:

> Give it some time! It's only been a week, which is much too short a time
> for anyone to draw conclusions on N-Gage sales.

Yeah, well... the main problem with the N-Gage was that it was hyped
well before it was widely available.  We live in internet time now
and you'd damned well better make sure your product is available if
you're going to get the most of out of your hard earned hyping bucks.
This trend is becoming remarkably common; see the SanDisk memory/WiFi
and various SDIO card fiascoes for reference.

> It took DoCoMo about a week to sell its first 5,000 I-mode handsets and
> look where that has ended up. My point is not that this will become as
> popular as I-mode, although I am not saying it won't, but that you can't
> draw any conclusions from vague and early sales figures.

First gen. imode phones sucked rotten eggs.  Those sales figures were
probably raw propaganda too.  Problems is... N-Gage isn't 1st gen.

> Still, at least Arcadia Research managed to get some publicity from
> 1up.com.

I predict that the N-Gage will be a huge success once:

   1 - Nokia realizes that Americans don't txt
   2 - All those european yard apes finally get their parents to
       splurge their newly strong euro-bucks on PS2/XBoxes for
       christmas.
   3 - Nokia discovers that there's such a thing as internal hype and
       mercifully pulls the plug on the N-Gage, dumping the remaining
       units on third-tier markets that do txt for a fraction of the
       manufacturing costs.  Nokia has a strong, pre-cellular track
       record for pulling these kinds of stunts off... I hope they
       still have some of the old crew around, or did they all kill
       themselves?

Input space larger than display space?  That should have set off
alarm bells for anyone at Nokia who cared to pay attention.