(keitai-l) Re: linking TVs and phones

From: <Martyn_Williams_at_idg.com>
Date: 10/29/03
Hi Jeff,

Sounds unlikely to me. Pointing the phone at the TV implies some form of
communication is going on and TVs don't send anything out by IR, just
receive pulses from remote controls. I don't think TVs use anything nearly
as complex as IrDA but just sets of simple pulses.

If the telephone can work out what channel the TV is tuned to then it can
record this information along with the time and date and communicate back
with a server and match this with a database of TV programs and
commercials.

Sony trialed a similar device for radios a while back. Press the button
when you heard something you liked and later on, when you connect it to a
PC, it would match the time with what was on. I think the Sony device
didn't memorize the station so you had to specify which radio you were
listening to but that is genrally easier to remember than which TV station
you are watching.

Martyn