(keitai-l) Re: linking TVs and phones

From: <nfgman_at_gamesx.com>
Date: 10/29/03
> Sounds unlikely to me. Pointing the phone at the TV implies some form of
> communication is going on and TVs don't send anything out by IR, just

If the phone receives any amount of normal light through the
IR port then it would theoretically be possible to send sixty raw
bits per second through TV video.  That's easily enough for a
product ID or URL to be sent to a phone over the course of a
commercial.

> Sony trialed a similar device for radios a while back. Press the button

I believe it's Fujitsu offering/planning to offer a similar music
service where you record any snippet of a song and play it
back and they'll tell you what the song is.  And remember the
CueCat?  Barscanner connected to your computer to scan
barcodes from printed ads to jump directly to the advertiser's
webpage.  It bombed.

As nifty as this stuff is I'm pretty confidant it's all pointless
until it's easy.  If the phone/TV trick requires you to find your
phone, open it, press a button (or 4) to activate the mode and
then hold it against the TV's flashing ID square then it's not
going to succeed.

Lawrence.