(keitai-l) port of i-mode to other cultures

From: <wbc_at_tkk.att.ne.jp>
Date: 11/01/03
I would like to hear what other members feel about the so-called porting of i-mode. I suppose this may be an outdated discussion but would anyone be willing to comment on the ideas below.
What is it that is the so-called success of i-mode that could be exported. I have read that it is a service not a technology. The browsing on i-mode is limited to the point of being useless. Email is not new. Signing up for services will not catch on very well because most services are free on the net and it is only in Japan where the net offerings are so limited and where computer usage has been very limited relatively speaking that i-mode could catch on and where people were willing to pay for services that are offered for free elsewhere (don't know how long they will be offered for free but the are at the moment).
Games and Java apps are different from the above discussion. An application can sell on a phone as well as on a pc.
Anyway, does anyone have any comments?
Thanks.