(keitai-l) Re: port of i-mode to other cultures

From: Jonas Petersson <zap_at_xms.se>
Date: 11/04/03
Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Jonas Petersson wrote:
>>The GPRS model certainly COULD be always connected, my 7650 sure is (if
>>I've told it to).
>

> Well, hold on here: the 7650 is a phone. The original argument was about
> whether PDAs that are not telephones as well (Palm, Zarus, WinCE) would
> private a better mail and web experience when using a wireless data or
> GPRS card.

The 7650 was just for reference that a GPRS card would be able to do the
same. Obviously we have to compare comparable things, so a PDA sans
communication obviously doesn't cut it. Addons (PCMCIA etc) obviously
drain batteries more than integrated stuff.

> None of those, to the best of my knowledge, are practical
> to use in "always connected" mode to alert you about e-mail or SMS the
> instant they're available; the battery drains far too fast.

I have not experimented properly with the Tungsten W yet (lack of time,
scheduled for Xmas) so I have no facts, but assuming the difference in
battery usage with GPRS on/off is comparable with the 7650/3650/6600 it
should be no major problem. Charging every second night instead of every
third hardly matters. My demand of a working device is that it copes
with a full day of active use and still has some batteries to spare.

				/ Jonas
--
Jonas Petersson  |  XMS Penvision  |  mailto:Jonas.Petersson@xms.se
Box 3294, Västgötegatan 13, S-600 03 Norrköping | http://www.xms.se/