(keitai-l) (OT) DVD players

From: Julien Quint <quint_at_nii.ac.jp>
Date: 11/22/03
On Nov 22, 2003, at 9:59 PM, Kyle Barrow wrote:
> Sure, but there are headers in the DVD MPEG file which tell the player
> to output the original movie in a format compatible with either NTSC or
> PAL formats so if you pop your PAL region 2 DVD into a Japanese NTSC
> DVD player from Sony et al. you get a nasty message that you can't play
> the movie.

Hmmm... I bought a DVD player in Japan, and brought some DVDs from
France. They play perfectly; the only problem I have is that when the
aspect ratio of the program is wider than 4/3, then the image is
stretched vertically. I thought this had something to do with PAL/SECAM
having more lines than NTSC. Fortunately, my 4/3 TV has a so-called
16/9 mode which shrinks the image back to a ratio close to the intended
one.

--
Julien Quint, Visiting Researcher, National Institute of Informatics
Hitotsubashi   2-1-2-1312,   Chiyoda-ku,   Tokyo   101-8430,   Japan