(keitai-l) Re: Nokia and Motorola to enter the Japanese market with Vodafone

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 12/03/03
On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Nick May wrote:

> While obviously sympathetic to the tone of general derision of your post,
> it WOULD be nice were one able to get an SSH session from one's phone.
>
> Some foreign phones can manage this, I gather - though no Japanese ones
> as far as I am aware.

Do J-Phone and AU phones have the same API restrictions that the Docomo
ones do--no straight TCP connections? If they could do that, you could
have ssh access.

I agree that it's a failing, though for me, anyway, it's pretty minimal,
since I can't imagine doing anything serious via a phone, anyway. Even
on my one of my PDAs, where I do have ssh and direct Internet access, I
never use it.

> And for all their feature richness, Japanese phones are still TOO THICK!
> Which is why nothing to date has tempted me beyond my P504i.

I agree with that. Also too heavy. Although that new AU stick-phone is
really, really nice. (Thin, light, and very cool looking.) If only it
had all the features of my 505.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org