(keitai-l) Re: Nokia and Motorola to enter the Japanese market with Vodafone KK

From: <Martyn_Williams_at_idg.com>
Date: 12/03/03
Hey Curt,

I feel I must note that I never mentioned Nokia! Personally I find their
phones to look boring and on the whole very similar to each other and when
they do try something different it just seems to come out wierd, at least
for my eye.

Take a look at Motorola's Korean line up. The MS-150 has only been offered
there. I am not sure about the newer 200 and 230 products. They are
clamshells so not a million miles away from Japanese handsets but they do
at least look a little different.
http://www.mymotorola.co.kr/product/phone.asp

I think the Sony Ericsson T610 looks quite nice too and I love the Siemens
SL55 too.

There seems to be some agreement from responses that the Infobar is a nice
handset so lets hope the Au design project turns out a few more. Just
looking at Vodafone's subscriber figures compared to Au, which started this
whole conversation off, shows how important design can be.

As for thinner handsets, that someone else brought up, its a challenge to
both put more features into the phone and make it smaller. Take the
prototype NEC Foma phone that was announced today that has Wireless LAN
support. Its 3 centimeters thick!!

On the other hand there are some innovations. One of the most recent is
building the main display and sub display for a clamshell into the same
display module and running them both on a common driver chip. That not only
means the display assembly is thinner but that it also has one less chip.

Regards,

Martyn