(keitai-l) Re: Where is the MA5-SMAF detailed specification format?

From: Oliver Wittchow <ow_at_nanoloop.com>
Date: 12/11/03
Paul Lester wrote:

>   Anyone know where  the SMAF pdf detailed specification is on the
> global SMAF website?  All the other sites I  go to point me there (including the
> global SMAF website itself) but it looks like all that's left is a rough html
> outline of the SMAF specification.  The details are all gone.

it has never been there i think. since the launch of smaf global all the
detailed PDFs are gone and there is only that outline "specification".
you probably have to beg yamaha and maybe even pay for it.

as far as i know, a really complete spec for a spcific MA-version has
never been available for download. the old SMAF PDF-documents cover the
general format very precisely but do not provide any specific soundchip
information such as FM synth definitions.

if you have the old general SMAF-specs, it should be easy to find out
which parts of SMAF are supported by MA-5 by analysing SMAF files. for
synth definitions and other details you could also have a closer look at
files generated with ATS-MA5.

it's a shame that yamaha only provides such minimalistic conversion
(rather than actual authoring-) tools and it still requires
reverse-engeneering to unlock the full potential of MA-chips.

cheers

oliver