(keitai-l) Re: Kanji OCR & english translation on 505i series DoCoMo phones using integrated camera

From: Petr Vyskocil <petr_at_anime.cz>
Date: 12/18/03
> Hi Petr
>
> Thanks for making this program available. I tried it on an N505i & it ran
ok
> though I couldn't get any accurate kanji recognitions (probably my fault).
>
> Regards
>
> Michael.

Heh... yeah...  I guess I was not enough descriptive (my bad, the poison of
"professionalism" :( ).

Anyway, to get the recognition working, you should send pictures like
http://kohaku.anime.cz/correct.gif . If you won't play enough with the
preprocessing like in http://kohaku.anime.cz/wrong.gif , you'll most likely
get one single really complicated kanji as a result - the recognizer just
sees it as one big dark complicated square letter. Also, if you try
something like http://kohaku.anime.cz/wrong2.gif , it will work BUT it'll
read it upside down. This one picture gives this result:

OCR Result:
宝龍田辺まい団と難コ
Excite translation:
A treasure Tatsuta 辺まい team and difficulty KO

which is definitely not what was intended :)

Anyway, heading home... hope the server will not crash overnight...

Petr