(keitai-l) Re: Ultra-Handy Smart-Chip Phone

From: <Martyn_Williams_at_idg.com>
Date: 12/18/03
Mike,

For at least the prepaid travel and e-money functions, they are intended to
replace cash and so come with no PIN numbers or other functions that would
slow the purchase down. If you lose your phone, you lose the cash stored in
the e-money function, just as you would lose the cash in your wallet.

I don't think there is anything to stop companies requiring a password or
even a fingerprint scan, with a suitably enabled phone, although many of
the basic functions do not include it.

Each card has its own ID so it would be easy enough for your company to
deregister one ID and enable another one on their security system. I don't
think anything special would need to be done on the handset.

Martyn

                      "Mike Derouin"
                      <mderouin@schooleymi        To:       keitai-l@appelsiini.net
                      tchell.com>                 cc:       (bcc: Martyn Williams/NEWS SERVICE/IDG)
                                                  Subject:  (keitai-l) Re: Ultra-Handy Smart-Chip Phone
                      12/18/2003 22:11
                      Please respond to
                      keitai-l

Watching the video and trying to read the articles, it appears that there
is
no 'PIN' or some security code - simply having the camera is enough to make
all these purchases.

Have I missed the discussion on the security implications of this?  I
presume that a cap on the purchase amount, combined with very fast
'reporting/freezing accounts', would limit the threat of potential damage
and are already being done?

Also - I am curious about the process/speed/cost of transferring the
account/handset to another handset.  When being used for company ID/access
etc.., and with the speed in which Japanese consumers change their
handsets,
they must be planning a simple (and affordable) process.

Reto - did you end up posting any blogging videos from your new phone yet?
I almost bought one of these phones for use in North America, but I haven't
heard any response from Vodafone about 'unlocking' them.  (most providers
will unlock the phone for a fee, or after set number of months)

Mike Derouin

This mail was sent to address Martyn_Williams@idg.com