(keitai-l) Re: Bill Gates doesn't believe in MS Smartphone future?

From: Darren Luckett <darren_at_www.ukmedia.us>
Date: 03/20/04
On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 18:12:47 +0100, Giovanni Bertani wrote
> Il giorno 19/mar/04, alle 04:19, Curt Sampson ha scritto:
>
> > On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Giovanni Bertani wrote:
> >
> >> A question: Is watching a movie while your are walking , running,
> >> driving, commuting. How many DVDs have you seen on your laptop while
> >> travelling?
> >
> > I know people who watch movies on their laptops on airplanes. I think
> > folks would do it a lot more, and on shorter trips, if you didn't have
> > to boot the thing up, have the battery life limitations, etc.
>
> Yes but we are not talking about geeks or power users but mass market.
>
> Is this a mass market application?
>
> Why portable TVs have always been a very niche market?
>
> Are those tiny displays acceptable for teh users?

The vodafone handset with analogue tv is a big seller in japan. research
groups have found that tv is the most requested feature for future mobiles.

> >> A second question: Have you seen any movie more than 2-3 times on your
> >> TV? Should you see it several times on a small screen?
> >
> > Probably the thing that would make this would be to be able to record
> > your favourite TV shows at home, transfer them to your device, and
> > watch them there.

> Why not OTA? There will be several services accessible directly by a
> 3G device letting you do this without connecting to your wired PC at
> home for downloading.

becuase it costs. 3 in the uk charge about 50p per download - short trailers
or football highlights. docomo charge and charge for packets - its too
expensive. much cheaper to transfer to a sd/minisd.

> I see much more future in wireless-connected lighter devices tht can
> access in real
> time what I want to see at that precise moment.
>
> Planning is not something you usually do when you cosume video media
> on the go.

if you commute that you would/do. 2 hours each way - 90 minutes of 3gp video
on my n900.
flat rate data charges may help, but the content providers/operators will
still charge.

> With musi is different, you listen to songs several times something
> you never do with a video piece.

music videos?

> >> A fourth question: Do you expect/want smaller players for your music
> >> or
> >> bloated devices with a lot of features with that you will never use?
> >
> > Sure we want smaller devices. But those never come out instantly;
> > there's always a big, expensive one that comes out for the early
> > adopters to try, and then in a few years you get the small, cheap ones.
>
> the problem is not about technology is about screen size. You can
> not have a big screen in small packet.
>
> This is why Newton as the first PDA. It was much more feature-rich,
>  it had a bigger screen and faster processor (The first ARM) than
> the Palm Pilots but it was not the right form factor.

ipod mini with a colour display and 3g. come on apple make a phone.
the ms devic is crude by comparsion - true of all ms to apple products.
small is most importatn - look at those necs on 3 - the 808 i think - oh
dear me.

darren