(keitai-l) Re: Bill Gates doesn't believe in MS Smartphone future?

From: Giovanni Bertani <giovanni.bertani_at_exsense.com>
Date: 03/19/04
Il giorno 19/mar/04, alle 04:19, Curt Sampson ha scritto:

> On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Giovanni Bertani wrote:
>
>> A question: Is watching a movie while your are walking , running,
>> driving, commuting. How many DVDs have you seen on your laptop while
>> travelling?
>
> I know people who watch movies on their laptops on airplanes. I think
> folks would do it a lot more, and on shorter trips, if you didn't have
> to boot the thing up, have the battery life limitations, etc.

Yes but we are not talking about geeks or power users but mass market.

Is this a mass market application?

Why portable TVs have always been a very niche market?

Are those tiny displays acceptable for teh users?

>> A second question: Have you seen any movie more than 2-3 times on your
>> TV? Should you see it several times on a small screen?
>
> Probably the thing that would make this would be to be able to record
> your favourite TV shows at home, transfer them to your device, and
> watch
> them there. Then you can do not only time-shifting, but space-shifting.

Why not OTA? There will be several services accessible directly by a 3G
device
letting you do this without connecting to your wired PC at home for
downloading.

I can't imagine me setting a sort of virtual digital recorder on my PC,
syncing my
portable media player and seeing it later... is just so unpractical...

I see much more future in wireless-connected lighter devices tht can
access in real
time what I want to see at that precise moment.

Planning is not something you usually do when you cosume video media on
the go.

With musi is different, you listen to songs several times something you
never do
with a video piece.

>> A fourth question: Do you expect/want smaller players for your music
>> or
>> bloated devices with a lot of features with that you will never use?
>
> Sure we want smaller devices. But those never come out instantly;
> there's always a big, expensive one that comes out for the early
> adopters to try, and then in a few years you get the small, cheap ones.

the problem is not about technology is about screen size. You can not
have
a big screen in small packet.

This is why Newton as the first PDA. It was much more feature-rich, it
had a bigger screen and faster
processor (The first ARM) than the Palm Pilots but it was not the right
form factor.

gb