(keitai-l) Re: location based gaming

From: Mathieu Castelli <mathieu_at_newtgames.com>
Date: 04/08/04
> Have you tryed any multiplayer game in EU? Do you think there is any
> chance
> with the performance of the current phones in terms of network ,
> application
> memory and JVM speed etc... ?
cons: nothing's standardized, carriers are impossible to reach, location is
hard to get, GPRS not reliable and terrible latency
pros: packets are cheap, JVM are ok
So, no, I'd say it's too early. Just as it was too early to release this
kind of game except to get experience and to get a reality check on KDDI
before WIN.

Still, we did a pretty successfull marketing event on Paris with Nokia for
the N-Gage launch. Nokia was happy and the users said they had a lot of fun
(it was N-Gage and Paris area). So it's definitely time for sponsored
multiplayer games.

> I think we have to wait some new phones hoping that Nokia and friends
> will understand that this
> is critical.
I would blame the carriers much more than the handsets.Which is natural
considered we're 80% focused on the network :)

Mathieu