(keitai-l) Re: Nokia warns of tough times ahead

From: Petri Ojala <ojala_at_iki.fi>
Date: 04/22/04
> I asked the question before and got no response, but I am genuinely
> curious. What design other than a clamshell is capable of protecting a
> high quality screen and keyboard?

Does one rank the Sony-Ericsson P800/P900 a clamshell?  It has kind of
cover for part of the screen.

Anyway, is that really a problem?  Before automatic keylocks "pocket
calls" used to happen every now and then but I haven't managed to break
the display or keyboard with non-clamshell phones and don't know anyone
who has.  Obviously the screen is typically smaller than in clamshells
and the basic construction needs to be tough, not the flexible plastic
that can be found from some phones.

Personally I find the extra effort to make or answer a call with
clamshell the biggest problem, I want more discrete phone.  The size
and weight are also becoming an increasing problem and the clamshells
don't help it at all.

Petri