(keitai-l) Re: Nokia warns of tough times ahead

From: Petri Ojala <ojala_at_iki.fi>
Date: 04/22/04
> The problem with series 40 is that Nokia haven't worked out how to
> expand it
> to cover all the new features they've bunged into their phones. With
> 15-20
> first-level menu items (with only one on screen at a time), finding
> things
> is actually really hard. Using a series 40 handset after the T610 or
> GX20
> feels ... Cramped. So little is on the screen at a time that you have
> cycle endlessly looking for things, never knowing what will come up
> next.

Very true, a few years ago series 40 phones had an excellent UI as the
features were within the original specs.  Some of the most recents
phones have been awfully bad from this perspective but it seems that
they're working on it as 6230 has decreased the first-level items to 9,
the basic UI is very much the same but things have been moved around --
for good or bad, I don't know yet.

A few years ago I used T68i and although it had some pretty good ideas,
the basic UI was poor.

It's suprising how underrated the importance of good UI is.

Petri