(keitai-l) Re: Mobile 3D Users & Future Trends

From: dc <dc_at_wm.namco.co.jp>
Date: 04/23/04

>   I don't think so.  Not for a long while at least.  3D is too expensive (in
>   terms of processing power, battery life, heat, keitai size and cost) for it to
>   become standard, IMHO.  There may become a standard 3D API (like a part of
>   j2me) at some time.

er, like how long? 12 months? I certainly feel EU is catching up to
japan, and you can't buy a new phone in japan that doesnt have an Hi
software 3D engine (or Brew). Soon, many phones will have hardware 3D
accelerators. At namco we have had a LOT of success with RidgeRacer and
other 3D games posting record download numbers.

Overseas, look at the Arm/Omap roadmap, the signs are there.

/dc

>   Would love to hear any views on the future
>   > trends of mobile 3D.

[ excessive quoting removed by moderator ]

Thanks!

/dc
david [dc] collier

NAMCO Ltd.