(keitai-l) Left side better?

From: Eric Hildum <EricHildum_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 04/23/04
Eric
On Apr 22, 2004, at 11:59 PM, Ken Chang wrote:

>> I'd be interested in seeing the basis for this assertion.
>
> I'd like to expand it a little bit.
>
> (1)
> human is not designed symmetric.  specifically all cameras assume
> using right hand.  many experiments could be done like when there's
> a big bang in front of you, to left or right you'll turn and escape;
> or when crossing your fingers, you always put left/right hand above;
> or when ride on a bike, you always ride from left/right side, etc.

Well, we have dominant hands, eyes, and feet. However, there is not
consistency among people - for example, you can be right handed yet
left footed. Moreover, activities, such as writing, which are normally
assumed to be associated with the dominate hand are not actually fixed.
There are many left handed people who can write with the right hand.
> (2)
> horses and carriages used to go left side in continental Europe.
> during French Revolution, a period of radical change, they reversed
> it to the right side because it's the "people's side".
>
> the US also adopted it probably because they were at the same side
> with the French fighting against Britons I think.

Actually, the practice of which side depended more on the type of
wagon/stage and the location of the driver, reins, and brakes.

> statistics is a great weapon, that I don't have about traffic ;)
> I think statistics of traffic accidents are slightly different.
> e.g., right handers are more efficient to steer to left, vital to
> save your life to avoid a face to face collision in the UK.

There are substantial differences in the design of roads, markings,
average distance traveled, etc. This kind of comparison is very
difficult to make when the driving conditions between countries are so
dramatically different. It would be amazing if there was any similarity
at all given the differences.

I think this has gotten too far off topic to continue.